skip to main content

Center Joint Unified School District

Center Joint Unified School District

Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 is a federal law prohibiting discrimination against disabled persons who may participate in or receive benefits from programs receiving federal financial assistance.  Under Section 504 (§504), eligible students with disabilities are provided with educational benefits and opportunities equal to those provided to non-disabled students.  Students with disabilities have the right to receive a free appropriate public education (FAPE) and to be educated with non-disabled students to the maximum extent appropriate.

Eligible students
Under §504, students are considered disabled if they suffer from a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or major life activities.  Section 504 also protects students with a record of impairment or who are regarded as impaired from discrimination on the basis of disability.  Students can be considered disabled and may receive protections/accommodations under §504, even if they do not qualify for or receive special education and related services under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA).

What are major life Activities?

☐ Learning
☐ Reading
☐ Concentrating
☐ Working
☐ Thinking
☐ Communicating
☐ Lifting
☐ Seeing
☐ Hearing
☐ Eating
☐ Speaking
☐ Breathing
☐ Sleeping
☐ Walking
☐ Bending
☐ Standing
☐ Performing manual tasks
☐ Bowel function
☐ Bladder function
☐ Digestive function
☐ Endocrine function
☐ Caring for one's self
☐ Brain function
☐ Reproductive function
☐ Circulatory function
☐ Neurological function
☐ Normal cell growth
☐ Functions of the immune system
☐ Respiratory function
☐ Other:
Who should be referred?
Any student who has, or is suspected of having, a physical or mental impairment and who needs, or is believed to need, educational and related aids and services to receive a free appropriate public education should be referred.

Who can make a referral for a 504 evaluation?
Anyone may initiate a referral, including parents or legal guardians, teachers, or school staff members.

How does someone make a referral?
A written referral for a possible evaluation may be made to school administrators, school counselors or social workers, or the site 504 coordinators. The referral should include the student’s name, grade, school, and the names of the parents/guardians and their contact information. The referral should explain the reason for the referral, including information about the identified or suspected disabilities and the student’s difficulties associated with educational performance.
What happens after a 504 referral is made?
The site 504 coordinator will schedule a 504 evaluation meeting with all 504 team members.
What is the difference between a 504 plan and an IEP?
If you have questions or concerns regarding a 504 plan, contact the site 504 coordinator at your child's school.  You can also contact the CJUSD District 504 Coordinator, Mike Jordan, at